The Weierstraß Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS) is an institute of the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB). The FVB comprises seven non-university research institutes in Berlin, which are funded by the federal and state governments. The research institutes are members of the Leibniz Association.
WIAS invites applications for a
PhD student position (f/m/d)
in Optimization and Machine Learning
in Weierstrass Group “Data‐driven Optimization and Control” (Head: Dr. Jia-Jie Zhu) starting as soon as possible.
We are looking for candidates motivated in researching principled optimization and machine learning. The concrete methodological components of the Ph.D. project include
- Continuous optimization for machine learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning
- Optimal transport and gradient flow for machine learning and optimization
- Robust optimization
- Robustness and generalization in learning with a focus on decision-making
- Dynamical systems modeling and optimization
- Interfacing learning theory and optimization
The Ph.D. student will closely work with Dr. Jia-Jie Zhu (https://jj-zhu.github.io/).
We invite candidates with a master’s degree in computer science, statistics, or applied mathematics, with a special focus on rigorous training in machine learning or optimization. Those qualifications are demonstrated by high-quality technical reports or publications in relevant venues such as (NeurIPS/ICLR/AISTATS/ICML/AAAI/CoLT/ALT/JMLR/STOC etc.). Candidates with strong applied or industrial experiences will also be considered.
What we offer:
- Close mentorship: the Ph.D. candidate will receive responsible and careful mentorship. We emphasize fostering a healthy mentor-student relationship.
- WIAS Berlin is a premier research institution known for its strength in optimization, optimal control, dynamical systems, and applied mathematics in general. It has hosted the flagship conferences in mathematical optimization, such as ICCOPT 2019.
- A certified (Audit berufundfamilie) family-friendly work environment.
Please direct queries to Dr. Jia-Jie Zhu (email@example.com).
To apply, please send the following:
- 1-2 page cover letter (including a very brief research statement)
- CV with links to your existing projects and works
- Master's thesis (or draft if not yet completed)
- Transcripts for bachelor's and master's
- contact information of 2-3 references from previous research projects who have agreed to be contacted
- apply via our online job-application facility using the button “Apply online”
The appointment is for 36 months. The reduced work schedule is 29,25 hours per week, and the salary is according to the German TVoeD scale.
The Weierstraß Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We explicitly encourage female researchers to apply for the offered position. Among equally qualified applicants, disabled candidates will be given preference.
The advertisement is open with immediate effect and will remain open until the position will be filled.
We are looking forward to your application!