The Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS) is an institute of the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB). The FVB comprises eight non-university research institutes in Berlin which are funded by the federal and state governments. The research institutes belong to the Leibniz Association.
WIAS invites applications for a
Research Assistant Position (f/m/d)
in the Research Group
”Nonsmooth Variational Problems and Operator Equations”
(Head: Prof. Dr. M. Hintermüller) to be filled at the earliest possible date.
Field of work: Optimization with partial differential equations and variational inequalities. The holder of the position is qualified in a modern field of optimization with partial differential equations. Of particular interest are non-smooth coupled systems and data-driven (e.g. machine learning) approaches to modeling and optimization, variational problems in mathematical image processing or nonlinear inverse problems. In addition to analytical considerations, the development and implementation of numerical solution methods are of central importance.
Wanted: A motivated, outstanding researcher with a very good degree and excellent doctorate in mathematics as well as previous experience in the fields mentioned above with the willingness to take on responsibility for interdisciplinary projects. Further experience within the framework of independent research in a postdoctoral phase is desired as well as very good knowledge in one or more of the areas
- Optimal control with partial differential equations,
- (Quasi-)Variational inequalities and their optimal control,
- Non-smooth variational problems with applications in image processing
including experience in the computer-aided realization of the associated numerical solution methods. This position is associated with the production of publications in international peer-reviewed journals, presentation of the results at international conferences and co-support of students working at WIAS in this field as bachelors, masters or doctoral students.
What we offer:
● Close mentorship: the postdoc candidate will receive responsible and careful mentorship. We emphasize fostering a healthy mentor-mentee relationship.
● WIAS Berlin is a premier research institution known for its strength in optimization, optimal control, dynamical systems, and applied mathematics in general. It has hosted flagship conferences in mathematical optimization such as ICCOPT 2019.
● A certified (Audit berufundfamilie) family-friendly work environment.
● Berlin is one of the most culture-rich and diverse international cities in the world. It offers endless opportunities to enjoy life outside work, while being very affordable compared to other major cities. Neither the job nor living in Berlin requires German language (although WIAS offers free German courses). We highly welcome international applications. Scientifically, Berlin offers a rich landscape with numerous opportunities for research, as well as job prospects in academia and industry.
Technical queries should be directed to Prof. Dr. Michael Hintermüller (Michael.Hintermueller@wias-berlin.de). The position is remunerated according to TVöD Bund and is initially limited to two years, while a long-term perspective is envisioned.
The Weierstraß Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We explicitly encourage female researchers to apply for the offered position. Among equally qualified applicants, disabled candidates will be given preference.
How to apply:
Please upload your complete application documents (motivation letter, detailed CV, certificates, list of MSc courses and grades, copy of the master thesis, reference letters, etc.) via our applicant portal by February 28, 2023 using the button “Apply online”.
We are looking forward to your application!