The Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS) is an institute of the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB). The FVB comprises seven non-university research institutes in Berlin which are funded by the federal and state governments. The research institutes belong to the Leibniz Association.
WIAS invites applications for a
Research Assistant Position (f/m/d)
in the Research Group
“Numerical Mathematics and Scientific Computing“
(Head: Prof. Dr. Volker John) devoted to the topic “Numerical methods and simulation techniques for the transport of charged particles“, starting as soon as possible.
Understanding of fundamental processes in electronics, electrochemistry and biology involves the modeling of the transport of charged particles in an electric field which itself depends on the charged particle distribution in space. WIAS is an internationally leading institution in the field of modeling, analysis and numerical simulation of partial differential equations describing these and other transport phenomena.
The work tasks include:
- Development, analysis and implementation of discretization methods and solution algorithms for the transport of charged species with a focus on the coupling to other physical processes like light wave conduction, elasticity, electrolyte flow, electrochemical reactions.
- Cooperative development and maintenance of open source software implemented in the C++ and Julia programming languages
- Collaboration in application projects with partners from academia and industry
We are looking for: Applicants with a Ph.D. degree in mathematics, scientific computing, theoretical physics or related fields. Experience in efficient numerical methods for PDEs and good programming skills (e.g., C++, Julia), and passion for applications of mathematics and coding are expected.
What we offer:
- WIAS Berlin is a premier research institution known for its strength in mathematical modeling, optimization, dynamical systems, and applied mathematics in general.
- Payment according to the collective agreement for the public service (TVöD Bund) including the usual social benefits (30 vacation days in a 5-day week, company pension plan); subsidy for the company ticket for public transport
- Mobile working
- A certified (Audit berufundfamilie) family-friendly work environment.
- Berlin offers endless opportunities to enjoy life outside work. Neither the job nor living in Berlin requires German language (although WIAS offers free German courses). We highly welcome international applications. Scientifically, Berlin offers a rich landscape with numerous opportunities for research, as well as job prospects in academia and industry.
Technical queries should be directed to Dr. J. Fuhrmann (email@example.com).
This is a full-time position and initially limited to three years.
The Weierstrass Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We explicitly encourage female researchers to apply for the offered position. Among equally qualified applicants, disabled candidates will be given preference.
Please upload complete application documents including cover letter, curriculum vitae, photocopies of certificates, and transcripts as soon as possible via our online job-application facility using the button “Apply online”.
The advertisement is open with immediate effect and will remain open until the position will be filled.
We are looking forward to your application!