The Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS) is an institute of the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB). The FVB comprises seven non-university research institutes in Berlin which are funded by the federal and state governments. The research institutes belong to the Leibniz Association.
MaRDI (Mathematical Research Data Initiative https://www.mardi4nfdi.de) is one of the 26 consortia, funded by the BMBF and the GWK, within the National Research Data Infrastructure (NFDI - https://www.nfdi.de).
WIAS invites applications for a
Research Associate (f/m/d)
for the development of a platform for statistical algorithms
in the Research Group
“Stochastic Algorithms and Nonparametric Statistics“
(Head: Professor Vladimir Spokoiny) devoted to the topic “TA3: Statistics and Machine Learning“, starting April 15, 2023.
You will be a part of a Germany-wide team responsible for the development of infrastructures for mathematics, implementing the FAIR principles and supporting Open Science.
The work tasks include:
- Integrate datasets for algorithms in statistics into the MaRDI data platform.
- Integrate CRAN into the MaRDI platform and the MaRDI knowledge graph
- Create a library of statistical analysis workflows
- Develop guidelines for the peer review process related to statistics and statistical software
- Shape the field of statistics within MaRDI and contribute new ideas
We are looking for: Applicants with university degree preferably in mathematics, natural science, engineering, computer science or related fields. Experience with programming languages (e.g. R, Python, Matlab or Julia) in statistics.
Skills and experience with the following are desirable but can also be learned on the job:
- Scripting languages and software repositories (especially R and CRAN)
- Tools for collaborative work (GitHub, gitlab)
- Knowledge of representation methods and knowledge graphs
- Working in spatially distributed workgroups
What we offer:
- An open and supportive working environment.
- A versatile job in a modern equipped institute, located in Berlin-Mitte.
- A place within the research group "Stochastic Algorithms and Nonparametric Statistics" at WIAS (Head: Professor Vladimir Spokoiny).
- The opportunity to be a part in building an infrastructure for future data-driven mathematical research.
- WIAS Berlin is a premier research institution known for its strength in mathematical modeling, optimization, dynamical systems, and applied mathematics in general.
- Payment according to the collective agreement for the public service (TVöD Bund) including the usual social benefits (30 vacation days in a 5-day week, company pension plan); subsidy for the company ticket for public transport.
- Mobile working
- A certified (Audit berufundfamilie) family-friendly work environment.
- Berlin offers endless opportunities to enjoy life outside work. Neither the job nor living in Berlin requires German language (although WIAS offers free German courses). We highly welcome international applications. Scientifically, Berlin offers a rich landscape with numerous opportunities for research, as well as job prospects in academia and industry.
Technical queries should be directed to Dr. Karsten Tabelow (email@example.com).
This is a full-time position and initially limited until September 30, 2026.
The Weierstrass Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We explicitly encourage female researchers to apply for the offered position. Among equally qualified applicants, disabled candidates will be given preference.
Please upload complete application documents including cover letter, curriculum vitae, photocopies of certificates, and transcripts as soon as possible via our online job-application facility using the button “Apply online”.
The advertisement is open with immediate effect and will remain open until the position will be filled.
We are looking forward to your application!