The Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS) is an institute of the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB). The FVB comprises seven non-university research institutes in Berlin which are funded by the federal and state governments. The research institutes belong to the Leibniz Association.
WIAS invites applications for a
Research Assistant Position (f/m/d)
in the Research Focus Platform
"Simulation of Semiconductor Devices for Quantum Technologies“
(Heads: Dr. Markus Kantner and Dr. Thomas Koprucki) to be filled as soon as possible.
The work tasks include (independent) research activity in the field of mathematical modeling and numerical simulation of semiconductor devices for applications in quantum technology, preparation of scientific publications, presentation of results on conferences and participation in the organization of scientific events.
We are looking for: Applicants with
- PhD degree in mathematics, theoretical physics or theoretical electrical engineering
- proven expertise (evidenced by publications in peer-reviewed journals or PhD thesis) in at least one of the following fields: numerical methods for Schrödinger equations and open quantum systems, optimal control of partial differential equations, theoretical solid-state physics.
- willingness to participate in existing projects for modeling and numerical simulation of semiconductor spin qubits.
- interest in developing an independent research agenda in the field of “mathematics for quantum technologies” or “semiconductor devices for quantum technologies” (quantum processors, quantum sensors, quantum optics).
- proficiency in scientific computing and at least one programming language (e.g., Julia, Matlab, Python, C/C++, etc.).
- very good English and communication skills.
What we offer:
- An open and supportive working environment.
- A versatile job in a modern equipped institute, located in Berlin-Mitte.
- WIAS Berlin is a premier research institution known for its strength in mathematical modeling, optimization, dynamical systems, and applied mathematics in general.
- Payment according to the collective agreement for the public service (TVöD Bund) including the usual social benefits (30 vacation days in a 5-day week, company pension plan); subsidy for the company ticket for public transport.
- Mobile working
- A certified (Audit berufundfamilie) family-friendly work environment.
- Berlin offers endless opportunities to enjoy life outside work. Neither the job nor living in Berlin requires German language (although WIAS offers free German courses). We highly welcome international applications. Scientifically, Berlin offers a rich landscape with numerous opportunities for research, as well as job prospects in academia and industry.
Technical queries should be directed to Dr. Markus Kantner (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This is a full-time position and initially limited to two years.
The Weierstrass Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We explicitly encourage female researchers to apply for the offered position. Among equally qualified applicants, disabled candidates will be given preference.
Please upload complete application documents including cover letter, curriculum vitae, photocopies of certificates, and transcripts as soon as possible via our online job-application facility using the button “Apply online”.
The advertisement is open with immediate effect and will remain open until the position will be filled.
We are looking forward to your application!