The Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS) is an institute of the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB). The FVB comprises seven non-university research institutes in Berlin which are funded by the federal and state governments. The research institutes belong to the Leibniz Association.
WIAS invites applications for a
Research Assistant Position (f/m/d)
in the Research Group
“Thermodynamic Modeling and Analysis of Phase Transitions”
(Head: Dr. B. Wagner) devoted to the topic „Theory and Modelling of Electrochemical Systems“ starting as soon as possible.
Based on the principles of non-equilibrium thermodynamics, a framework for modeling and simulating electrochemical systems has been developed at WIAS. This framework has been validated using suitable laboratory experiments and is applied, among other things, to the modeling of batteries, fuel cells, and ion channels. The candidate will be responsible for further developing this framework and applying it to specific systems.
The work tasks include:
- Development, analysis, and implementation of discretization methods and solution algorithms for the transport of charged species with a focus on the coupling to other physical processes like light wave conduction, elasticity, electrolyte flow, and electrochemical reactions,
- Modeling of basic electrochemical systems with partial differential equations,
- Development of material models for electrolytes and electrodes,
- Development of validation strategies and validation of models using suitable experimental data,
- Systematic model simplification using asymptotic methods, e.g. derivation of effective boundary conditions, homogenization of microscopic models,
- Exploration of new application areas (semiconductor electroplating, Na batteries, electrolysis/E-fuels),
- Collaboration with other research groups at WIAS, particularly in the development of application-oriented software packages and in the field of optimization,
- Deepening existing and developing new collaborations with experimental research groups.
We are looking for: Candidates with a PhD in mathematics, scientific computing, theoretical physics, or related fields, and published research contributions in peer-reviewed journals are sought. In-depth scientific experience in modeling electrochemical systems with partial differential equations as well as a high interest in applications of mathematics are expected.
What we offer:
- WIAS Berlin is a premier research institution known for its strength in mathematical modeling, optimization, dynamical systems, and applied mathematics in general.
- Payment according to the collective agreement for the public service (TVöD Bund) including the usual social benefits (30 vacation days in a 5-day week, company pension plan); subsidy for the company ticket for public transport
- Mobile working
- A certified (Audit berufundfamilie) family-friendly work environment.
- Berlin offers endless opportunities to enjoy life outside work. Neither the job nor living in Berlin requires German language (although WIAS offers free German courses). We highly welcome international applications. Scientifically, Berlin offers a rich landscape with numerous opportunities for research, as well as job prospects in academia and industry.
Technical queries should be directed to Dr. M. Landstorfer (Manuel.Landstorfer@wias-berlin.de).
This is a full-time position and is initially limited to two years.
The Weierstrass Institute is an equal-opportunity employer. We explicitly encourage female researchers to apply for the offered position. Among equally qualified applicants, disabled candidates will be given preference.
Please upload complete application documents including cover letter, curriculum vitae, photocopies of certificates, and transcripts as soon as possible via our online job-application facility using the button “Apply online”.
The advertisement is open with immediate effect and will remain open until the position will be filled.
We are looking forward to your application!