The Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS) is an institute of the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB). The FVB comprises seven non-university research institutes in Berlin which are funded by the federal and state governments. The research institutes belong to the Leibniz Association.
WIAS invites applications for a
PhD student position (f/m/d)
in the Research Group
“Numerical Mathematics and Scientific Computing“
(Head: Prof. Dr. Volker John) starting November 1, 2023.
The applicant is expected to perform research on physically consistent discretizations for problems from fluid dynamics, for instance on gradient-robust and well-balanced schemes for compressible Navier-Stokes equations.
We are looking for: Candidates with
- A profound knowledge on the analysis of discretizations of partial differential equations, in particular of finite element methods,
- Previous knowledge on physically consistent discretizations and their analysis is desirable.
- Good programming knowledge is required, preferably in Julia, and
- A university diploma or master degree in mathematics or a closely related discipline is required.
What we offer:
- WIAS Berlin is a premier research institution known for its strength in mathematical modeling, optimization, dynamical systems, and applied mathematics in general.
- Payment according to the collective agreement for the public service (TVöD Bund) including the usual social benefits (30 vacation days in a 5-day week, company pension plan); subsidy for the company ticket for public transport
- Mobile working
- A certified (Audit berufundfamilie) family-friendly work environment.
- Berlin offers endless opportunities to enjoy life outside work. Neither the job nor living in Berlin requires German language (although WIAS offers free German courses). We highly welcome international applications. Scientifically, Berlin offers a rich landscape with numerous opportunities for research, as well as job prospects in academia and industry.
Technical queries should be directed to Prof. Dr. Volker John (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The working hours are 29,25 hours per week and the position is initially limited to three years.
The Weierstrass Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We explicitly encourage female researchers to apply for the offered position. Among equally qualified applicants, disabled candidates will be given preference.
Please upload complete application documents including cover letter, curriculum vitae, photocopies of certificates, and transcripts as soon as possible via our online job-application facility by June 15, 2023 using the button “Apply online”.
We are looking forward to your application!